For the first time since it began in 1974, the Wyoming Shrine Bowl all-star football game won’t be played.

The 2020 version of the game won’t be played due to risks associated with the outbreak of the COVID-19 virus, a release from Wyoming Shrine Bowl executive director Frank Selby said.

“The overall well-being of our communities remains on the forefront of our minds as we weather these uncertain times,” the release said. ” … In addition to potential risks that linger as game time nears, we cannot in good conscience ask for financial support from communities as they are left reeling in economic effects associated with the outbreak.”

In the release, Selby apologized for the inability to stage the game. He said players coaches, trainers and managers — who had already been selected for the game — as well as others associated with the now-canceled game will still receive recognition.

“Our focus at this time is to ensure that the players, coaches and participants are justly recognized for their achievements and the commitment that brought us together,” the release said.

The game acts as a fundraiser for the Shriner’s Hospital for Children. The game has raised more than $450,000 since its inception, the Wyoming Shrine Bowl website said, with $30,000 raised last year.

Selby said the game will return, as the 2021 Shrine Bowl is scheduled for June 12, 2021, in Casper.

Here is the full press release.

–patrick

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post Navigation