Burns has forfeited its Week 1 game against Mitchell, Neb., after COVID-19 quarantines left Burns unable to play.

Burns High activities director Barry Ward announced the forfeiture on Twitter.

In an email Wednesday with wyoming-football.com, Ward said the exact number of Burns students in quarantine would not be finalized until contact tracing was complete. However, in-person school and sports practice will continue at Burns.

Ward said a decision on Burns’ Week 2 game against Tongue River, the Class 2A East Conference opener for both teams, “will be made when the contact tracing picture becomes clearer.”

Burns was the second team in two days to lose a game due to COVID-19, as Thermopolis canceled its Week 1 game and rescheduled its Week 2 game on Tuesday after moving to online classes for two weeks.

The Broncs also canceled a game and rescheduled another last year due to COVID-19. Burns lost its season opener to Yuma, Colo., last week.

–patrick

3 Thoughts on “Burns forfeits Week 1 game due to quarantines

  1. Pingback: Week 1 picks: Wyoming’s most competitive football conference this year is… – THE HQ — The Wyoming high school football blog

  2. Pingback: Two Goshen County schools (Torrington, Lingle) forfeit Week 1 football games – THE HQ — The Wyoming high school football blog

  3. Pingback: Rawlins forfeits homecoming due to COVID-19 quarantines – THE HQ — The Wyoming high school football blog

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Post Navigation